Roast Chicken Thighs and Vegetables is an easy, hearty dinner recipe that results in crispy, juicy chicken and flavorful vegetables. Toss chicken, potatoes, onions, and carrots in olive oil and seasoning and bake in one dish in the oven.
Roast Chicken Thighs and Vegetables is a flavorful weeknight meal that requires 10 minutes of prep and serves 4-6 people. It's healthy, packed with flavor, and will warm you right up on a cold night.
Roast chicken thighs can be enjoyed on its own or with a green on the side and a toasted baguette on the side. Pair it with Maple Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta, Harvest Quinoa Salad with Arugula, Sautéed Green Beans with Furikake, or a simple side salad. The roast chicken thighs and vegetables also go well on top a simple bed of rice. The chicken drippings are perfect for dipping warm bread too.
Oven Roast Chicken Thighs and Vegetables is a one dish dinner that is served from oven to table. If you serve it at the table, remember to use a trivet! It's a great beginner cooking recipe and is elevated enough for a cozy holiday dinner.
Ingredients to Make Roast Chicken Thighs and Vegetables
- Chicken thighs - Chicken thighs are one of the most tender parts of the chicken. Bone-in skin-on chicken thighs result in the most flavor, but you can use whatever cuts of chicken you like. Please note that different parts of chicken have different cooking times!
- Potatoes, carrots, and onion - Potatoes and carrots act as a bed for the chicken and cook in the drippings. They add an earthy vegetal element to the dish. Waxy potatoes are the best type of potatoes to use for roasting. They are low in starch and high in moisture, and do not fall apart when cooked. Be sure to cut the carrots and potatoes in small 1-2" pieces so they cook all the way through.
- Garlic - Roasted garlic adds so much flavor and aroma to the roast chicken thighs. Once they are done cooking, the cloves soften and become spreadable like butter.
- Fresh and dried herbs - Herbs enhance the chicken and vegetable flavors. If you don't have fresh herbs on hand, dry herbs work just fine for this recipe.
- Butter - Butter is our secret to crispy chicken skin! Tuck the butter under the skin of each chicken thigh. This locks in the moisture and makes the skin golden and crispy on the inside and outside.
How to Make Roast Chicken
- Heat the oven - Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss the vegetables in olive oil and seasoning - In a large mixing bowl, toss carrots, potatoes, and onions with ¼ cup olive oil, half of the kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, and herbs. Pour vegetable mixture into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Pat and arrange chicken - Pat the chicken thighs dry with a paper towel. Arrange the chicken thighs and garlic bulbs on top of the vegetables.
- Tuck butter under chicken skin - Lift the skin of each chicken thigh and tuck 1 pat of butter under each skin.
- Season chicken thighs - Coat the chicken thighs and garlic in remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and rub the oil into the thighs. Season each thigh with the remaining kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and herbs.
- Bake and serve - Place the baker on the middle rack in the oven and cook for 50-55 minutes, or until the skin is golden and the internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F.
Equipment to Make One Dish Chicken
To explore more kitchen items to make your kitchen complete, head to our Kitchen Essentials Shop.
How to Make Tender Chicken with Crispy Skin
The secret to tender chicken with crispy skin is to ensure the skin is dry and there is fat in the form of butter and olive oil. To get the crispiest chicken skin, follow these steps:
- Dry the chicken skin - First, pat the skin with a paper towel until the skin is dry.
- Tuck the butter under the skin - Once the chicken is arranged, tuck a pat of butter underneath the chicken skin.
- Coat with olive oil - Coat the top of the skin with olive oil and rub the oil into the skin.
These three steps will ensure the chicken skin is crispy and golden, and that the meat is tender and moist.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store leftovers in an air-tight container for up to 5 days. To reheat, heat the oven to 350°F place in a baking dish and bake for 10 minutes or until hot. When reheating the leftovers, be sure to drizzle the drippings on top of the chicken and vegetables,
Common Ingredient Substitutes and Variations
You can use other cuts of chicken, including chicken breast, legs, and drumettes. If you use chicken breast instead, cook the vegetables first for 15 minutes, then arrange the chicken on top. Since chicken breast has less fat than dark meat, it cooks faster.
Change up the seasonings with paprika, onion powder, thyme, and more.
More Cozy Chicken Recipes
For more cozy chicken and turkey recipes, check out:
- Roasted Chicken Stuffed with Wild Rice
- Roasted Chicken with Meyer Lemon
- Pesto Orecchiette with Rapini and Sausage
- Healthy Turkey Chili
- Pesto Swiss And Turkey Skillet Sliders
Roast Chicken Thighs and Vegetables
- 2 lbs Chicken thighs with skin-on and bone-in 6 thighs
- 1 ½ lb Yukon gold potatoes diced into 1-2' cubes
- 4 Medium carrots peeled and cut into 1-2" pieces
- 1 Medium yellow onion chopped
- 3 Garlic bulbs ¼" tips cut off
- ¼ cup Olive oil extra virgin
- 3 tbsp Olive oil extra virgin
- 4 Sprigs of fresh rosemary chopped, divided in half
- 2 tsp Herb de Provence divided in half
- 3 tsp Garlic powder divided in half
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt divided in half
- 1 tsp Ground black pepper freshly cracked, divided in half
- 2 tablespoons butter cut into 6 pats
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss carrots, potatoes, and onions with ¼ cup olive oil, half of the kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, and herbs. Pour vegetable mixture into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with a paper towel. Arrange the chicken thighs and garlic bulbs on top of the vegetables.
- Lift the skin of each chicken thigh and tuck 1 pat of butter under each skin.
- Coat the chicken thighs and garlic in remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil and rub the oil into the thighs. Season each thigh with the remaining kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and herbs.
- Place the baker on the middle rack in the oven and cook for 50-55 minutes, or until the skin is golden and the internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot.