Crunchy Garlic Tortilla Strips are a fast and flavorful gluten-free garnish for salads and soups. The recipe only takes 15 minutes to make and yields plenty of delicious tortilla strips that add a nice crunchy texture. They are a crunchy surprise in a bowl of Healthy Turkey Chili, posole, and tortilla soup. I even like to dip them in a little Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing, although they are delightful on their own!
How to Make Tortilla Strips
Tortilla strips are made in the oven. They are less oily than fried chips and can be made as garlicky or salty as you like. You can even get creative and add a dash of onion powder, cumin, or cayenne pepper.
I got this idea from my mom, who always makes little tortilla strips to garnish her amazing White Bean Chicken Chili! She bakes the strips in the oven instead of frying them to result in a crispy, light crunch.
Equipment Needed to Make Crispy Strips
To explore more kitchen items to make your kitchen complete, head to my shop: Kat’s Kitchen Essentials.
Here are the easy steps to make crispy tortilla strips:
- Cut the Corn Tortillas into Strips - Slice the corn tortillas into thirds, then cut each third into strips.
- Coat the Tortillas in Vegetable Oil - Toss and lightly coat the strips in vegetable oil. As a result, the thin layer of oil will allow the strips to get crispy in the oven.
- Season with Salt and Garlic Powder - Season the strips with a little salt and garlic powder. This will make each bite well seasoned and flavorful.
How to Store Leftover Tortilla Strips
Crunchy Garlic Tortilla Strips
- 8 corn tortillas
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- t tsp kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cut the corn tortillas into thirds, then cut each third width-wise into ¼-inch strips. In a mixing bowl, toss the tortilla strips with vegetable oil, garlic powder, and salt to taste until evenly coated.Place the tortilla strips on a baking sheet and spread out the strips so they are evenly distributed and not crowded. Place the sheet in the oven and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove