Over Easy Eggs are a delicious way to prepare eggs, featuring a runny yolk wrapped in firm egg whites. Follow our foolproof instructions and make perfect 3-minute eggs for avocado toast, fried rice, or a breakfast rice bowl. The runny yolk adds a creamy richness that elevates any breakfast dish!
We love runny eggs over rice; it is honestly one of our favorite foods. Our over easy eggs recipe results in perfectly runny eggs every time. With our recipe, you can learn how to make over easy eggs with just 3 steps in 3 minutes.
Where to Get Your Eggs
We love pasture raised eggs. Pasture raised eggs are laid by hens who have access to pastures and the outdoors. As a result, the eggs are full of flavor and vitamins. Pasture raised eggs also often have deep orange or red egg yolks due to the improved diet of the chicken.
Our favorite pasture-raised eggs are distributed by Vital Farms. Vital Farms works with carefully-selected farmers throughout the United States.
- Butter - Butter adds a layer of fat that keeps the eggs from sticking to the pan.
- Fresh Large Eggs - Eggs are one of the best sources of protein and one of our favorite tasting protein sources.
- Salt - Use sea salt or kosher salt to accentuate the delicious flavor of the eggs.
- Pepper - Freshly cracked black pepper adds a light spicy kick.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Cook Over Easy Eggs
- Heat butter - Heat butter in cast iron skillet or nonstick skillet over low-medium heat.
- Crack and season the egg - Once the butter is melted and slightly foamy, crack the egg onto skillet and sprinkle salt and pepper on top.
- Cook egg - Cook egg for for about 2 minutes. Once egg whites go from clear to white and edges start to crisp, use a spatula to flip egg over and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Once cooked on both sides, transfer egg to plate and enjoy.
Pro tip: Fry only 1-2 eggs in a pan at one time to make it easy to flip the eggs.
- If possible, use a non-stick pan to cook the eggs. This will ensure that the eggs come out easily once they are done cooking.
- Preheat your pan over medium-low to medium heat. It's important not to cook over easy eggs on too high heat, as this can result in overcooking.
- Experiment with different seasonings or toppings, such as herbs, cheese, or hot sauce, to customize your over easy eggs to your taste.
- Over easy eggs are best served immediately while the yolk is still runny and the whites are tender.
- Use fresh eggs for the best results! We highly recommend pasture-raised eggs for an extra delicious and nutritious yolk.
You can refrigerate these eggs over easy in an air tight container for up to 2 days. In order to reheat them, just heat them in a covered pan over low heat. These ingredients do not stand up well to freezing.
How to Enjoy Eggs Over Easy
There are a ton of ways enjoy these easy eggs. They are delicious over toast with fresh cracked pepper, Maldon Sea Salt Flakes, and avocado. They also blend seamlessly with fried rice or baked sweet potato hash. It's gooey nature makes it ideal for a breakfast rice bowl or if you want to dip breakfast meat in it.
Yes! Eggs are a rich source of protein, iron, and vitamins. In order to make sure thee eggs maintain all of their nutrients, don't overcook them. The longer you cook your eggs, the more nutrients you lose.
Yes, olive oil will also work to cook the eggs. However, we use butter because it is tastier.
Poached eggs are cooked in simmering water. The eggs are typically pulled out when the white is set but before the yolk is cooked. Over easy eggs are fried in a pan.
Over easy eggs are fried, flipped, then cooked briefly on the yolk side while sunny side up eggs are fried on only one side.
Other Ways to Prepare Eggs
While we love eggs over easy, we enjoy all types of eggs. Here are a few other fun ways to prepare eggs:
- Soft Scrambled Eggs - Whenever we make scrambled eggs, we make them soft and fluffy. We love making a Soft Scramble with Burrata, Tomatoes, and Arugula.
- Hard Boiled Eggs - Hard Boiled Eggs are great for an egg salad sandwich if you prefer a firm yolk. In order to hard boil eggs, just boil the eggs for 10 minutes then cool them and peel the shell.
- Sunny Side Up Eggs - In oder to make sunny side up eggs, cook them on one side until the whites are set, but the yolk is still liquid.
- Over Medium Eggs - Over Medium Eggs are cooked a little longer than over easy eggs, until the yolk is only slightly runny.
- Over Hard Eggs - Over Hard Eggs have a completely cooked through yolk, similar to a hard boiled egg and are great for breakfast sandwiches.
- Soft Boiled Jammy Eggs - Soft Boiled Jammy Eggs have a soft yolk with a spreadable jammy texture. They are easy to make and go perfectly on a piece of toast, in a bowl of ramen, on a salad, or on top of avocado toast topped with truffle salt.
- Soft Boiled Runny Eggs - If you want your eggs runny and perfect for going over rice, follow the steps for Soft Boiled Jammy Eggs, just boil the eggs for 5 minutes instead of 7. Our Bacon and Egg Breakfast Rice Bowl is an example of how to integrate this runny soft boiled egg into a delicious breakfast.
This eggs over easy recipe requires just a few kitchen essentials. In order to make these fried eggs, you will need a non-stick pan or standard skillet and a silicone baking spatula. If you use a standard skillet, we suggest seasoning it so it becomes non-stick and the eggs will flip more easily.
To explore more kitchen items to make your kitchen complete, head to our Kitchen Essentials Shop.
Did You Like This Recipe?
Love this fried egg recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating in the recipe card below & consider leaving a comment. Thanks!
Over Easy Eggs
- 2 teaspoon butter
- 1 egg
- sea salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- Heat butter - Heat butter in cast iron skillet or pan over low-medium heat.2 teaspoon butter
- Crack and season the egg - Once the butter is melted and slightly foamy, crack the egg onto skillet and sprinkle salt and pepper on top.1 egg, sea salt, freshly cracked pepper
- Cook egg - Cook egg for for about 2 minutes. Once egg whites go from clear to white and edges start to crisp, use a spatula to flip egg over and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Then transfer egg to plate and enjoy.
- Use fresh eggs for the best results.
- Cook eggs low and slow to avoid over-cooking them.
- Cook 1-2 eggs in a pan to make it easy to flip the eggs.
- If cooking multiple batches, allow the pan to cool for a couple of minutes between batches to avoid burning the butter and over-cooking the eggs.